Thursday, July 16, 2009

My first 'real' blog, what's going on with me. If you care.

Hey everybody, while I was living my life and laughing at the people who have "blogs" and who "Twitter" (insert root word joke here), I came to a realization. The perception of time that passes between your interactions with friends and family seems to be amplified while abroad. Maybe it's the many miles or the simple fact that you're no longer 'there', I'm not sure but I believe it's time to succumb to this 'blog' thing. I suppose I'm a decade late but nonetheless this is where I will sporadically and erratically post my exploits over the next 5 months.

On July 24th 2009 I'll be ending my near year.5 foray through South Korea as an English Teacher. On the 26th I'll be flying out of Incheon, South Korea to Bangkok, Thailand. I will be embarking on a 5 month bicycle tour through South East Asia along with two of the greatest people I've ever been fortunate enough to meet while in the ROK. Along with the three of us, two more of their friends will be laying down some tracks on our adventure through Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos.

Our trip is as loosely planned as possible and true to my nature I have done minimal planning at all. But that's why I'm so excited.
Armed with basically just a fairly low-tech bike, 2x20lts Ortleib waterproof panniers, some clothes, my bandana and a patch kit we'll begin the most intensive exercise program any of us has attempted I think. I'm incredibly excited about this and can't wait to post some pictures as soon as I see some python toting monkey hat wearing lady boys in Bankok, or a 6 year old Khmer armed to the teeth offering cows to blow up for the one-time only special day cause I like you price of fifty American dollars^^.

So please stay posted for my first official post-ROK update.

I've only written three paragraphs and it was so incredibly stressful I need a beer. With that, I'll big you all adieu.
Cheers
Blaise

1 comment: